Chromium-6: Over 200 million Americans have ‘Erin Brockovich’ chemical in their tap water
Learning Center | Toxins | Jan 2, 2017
Hexavalent chromium, or chromium-6, is the carcinogen made famous by the true story of ‘Erin Brockovich.’ The 2000 film depicted a legal case brought by Brockovich against a large utility company in Southern California for poisoning the water supply with chromium-6. The case was settled in 1996 for $333 million.
However new findings show that chromium-6 contamination is threatening more than 200 million Americans all over the country.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) recently released a remarkably comprehensive report on the issue:
EWG: Chromium-6 Found in US Tap Water
The report is an excellent source, detailing the widespread presence of chromium-6, the health risks involved, and how lobbying efforts are preventing proper regulation of the water supply. Here are some highlights and other relevant info:
- Chromium-6 is a carcinogen, and studies have linked it to a host of additional health issues.
- Based on nationwide EPA tests from 2013-2015, EWG estimates that water supplies serving 218 million Americans in all 50 states contain unsafe levels of chromium-6.
- EWG estimates that chromium-6 will cause more than 12,000 excess cases of cancer by the end of century, if left untreated.
- In 2010, a public-health goal was set of 0.02 parts per billion in tap water. State regulators adopted a legal limit of 500x that amount in 2014, after aggressive lobbying by industry & water utilities.
- I won’t get into the specific lobbying efforts here, but the EWG reports shines a light on the many obstacles to tap water regulation.
Do you have a chromium-6 problem?The solution is use a filtration system that eliminates chromium-6 from the tap water. The best options are the Vitev Maxx and Vitev Flo+ systems. They remove chromium-6 from source water and a wide a range of other tap water contaminants.
Ask a Vitev filtration expert today how you can improve the quality of your drinking water. Call us at 1-855-456-9220 for a Free consultation.